When it gets cold outside, it is easy just to wrap yourself in a blanket, watch some TV and call it a day. Of course, those days can provide for much needed relaxation. However, there is much more to winter. Try some of these ideas to keep yourself busy this winter!
- Baking: What says comfort more than the smell and taste of a delightful baked good? Chatelaine has a splendid collection of recipes for baking inspiration.
- Scrapbooking: This is time to whittle down that mound of paper keepsakes by scrapbooking. New to scrapbooking? Check Paper Wishes for some advice. Creating Keepsakes also has some tips.
- Skiing, Snowshoeing and/or Hiking: Just because it is winter does not mean you cannot go outside. In fact, these outdoor activities can be quite exhilarating. Many local parks, nature preserves, arboretums and more have skiing and/or snowshoeing available, so be sure to check around!
- Visit a museum: Have a favorite museum that you haven't visited in awhile or know of a new one you would like to discover? Winter is the perfect time to peruse museum collections!
- Create an Indoor Garden: Missing your greenery? Why not assemble a natural sanctuary inside? HGTV and Reader's Digest both offer suggestions to get you started.
- Winter Bird Watching: Not every bird skedaddles for the winter. About.com has some strategies for seeing some of our flying friends that stay around for winter.
- Clean out your freezer and have a potluck: Have a freezer potluck party where all of your friends bring one of their freezer items. What a fun way to organize and clear out that freezer!
- Volunteer: If the lack of outdoor activities finds you with some extra time on your hands, why not volunteer? Soup kitchens, animal shelters and libraries afford some rewarding opportunities.
- Write letters to the troops: Send some wishes from home to our brave men and women overseas. Hugs for Soldiers collects Valentine's Day cards for our soldiers. Why not add some cheer from home to a soldier's day?
- Clean your closets, cabinets and/or pantry: Why save all of the cleaning for spring when you rather be outside? Start cleaning out your closets, cabinets and/or pantries now. Maybe you will find that you have enough items for a spring garage sale?
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and/or Facebook for exclusive deals!